Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Touchdown Tuesday: Let me count the ways

So this week I want to take a look at wide receivers as we start getting into peoples fantasy drafts.  That first round can be make or break and I want to take a look back into our recent past to see how those top projected players actually fared ... did they live up to the hype or or let frustration and angst reign supreme!


Stop The Presses!

Before we get to that I sit here watching Monday Night Preseason football and what happens but Odell Beckham needs some attention ... and boy oh boy did Gruden and his crew grab on to it.  I think Beckham is an over grown child and the refs should have thrown a flag when he threw the football across the field but he can catch the oblong ball.  Best art of all is when he realized the camera was behind him and decided to lay down.  My ten year old does that when he "hurts" himself and wants attention.  Just sayin ... also here come the chants for "Get rid of the preseason!"

Whose on First?

The 2016 top ten Average Draft positions at ESPN are as follows ... 1. Antonio Brown  2. Odell Beckham  3. Julio Jones  4. DeAndre Hopkins  5. AJ Green  6. Allen Robinson  7. Dez Bryant    8. Jordy Nelson  9.Brandon Marshall and 10. Alshon Jeffrey.    


The top ten finishing wrs were ... 1. Jordy Nelson  2. Mike Evans  3. Antonio Brown  4. OBJ  5. TY Hilton  6. Julio Jones  7. Davante Adams  8. Michael Thomas  9. Doug Baldwin  10. Brandin Cooks.  (Top 10 in both are highlighted in blue)

Only 4 out of the top ten wrs selected finished in the top ten.  If I was a betting man , and I am, those are not cards I'm playing!  Brown, Beckham, and Jones are no surprise  Robinson, Hopkins, and Marshall had terrible team/QB situations and really should have been spotted before the year.  Green and Jeffrey really surprised me.  There is a time when a payer just falls off.  Green is one of my all time favorite fantasy players (Matt Forte is my all time favorite!) and I sure hope he has a slow and steady decline the way he should, since there's not much hope for a Peyton Manning triumphal exit.

What Have We Learned?

Ultimately there is a soft science to this.  Outside of injury there is a decent chance if you look at the entire team.  It is a team sport and that has to be remembered in these first round evaluations.  

I mentioned two of my all time favorite fantasy players.  I love how they play and their consistency and their determination.  I love having those guys on my team and that is a HUGE part of this point.  This is about fun so get players you like having.  I dabbled in a trade for Odell Beckham last year and regretted it the minute I made it.  I think he played on my team for about 2 weeks until I traded him away again.

Anyways, more news and fantasy to come and let me know what you want to hear about!


No comments:

Post a Comment